Cultural Facilities Fund
Systems Replacement Plan Grants
How To Apply
Read the program guidelines, then review specific Systems Replacement Plan grants requirements below.
Log in or create an organizational profile to access the Intent to Apply and online application.
If you are applying for a Systems Replacement Plan grant in addition to either a Capital or a Feasibility & Technical Assistance grant, you can do so without having to fill out two separate applications. Please see the Application Instructions Section below.
Complete application and submit required and optional supplementary materials by January 15, 2020 at 11:59pm (ET).
Systems Replacement Plan Grants Guidelines
Goals of the Systems Replacement Plan Grant Program
The goal of the Systems Replacement Plan grant program is to provide small and medium-sized organizations with facilities of up to approximately 50,000 square feet and no full-time maintenance staff a tool to prioritize their capital maintenance needs. The Systems Replacement Plan will help managers and board members of cultural organizations get the objective information and analysis they need to address the cycles of maintenance and replacement for their facility. (Please note: some cultural facilities are located in buildings with non-cultural/arts activities. We can only fund planning for facilities with arts, humanities and interpretive sciences programming.)
Systems Replacement Plan grant amounts range from $7,000 to $12,500, and are determined by the square footage of the facility(ties) up to 50,000 square feet.
Mass Cultural Council staff can help you determine the appropriate grant request amount for your application. Contact Jay Paget with any questions.
With a Systems Replacement Plan grant, grantees will enter into contract with a pre-approved third-party consultant who will survey the building envelope (roof, walls, and entry systems) and the mechanical systems (heating, cooling, ventilation, plumbing, and pool filtration). The survey will provide the estimated usable-life expectancy and the approximate replacement cost of your building systems. At the conclusion of the survey, organizations will receive a 20-year Systems Replacement Plan which forecasts the necessary replacement schedule of specific systems and equipment.
As outlined in previous sections, the Cultural Facilities Fund statute establishes five threshold review criteria for all grants. All projects must provide evidence that they meet these statutory criteria to be considered for a Systems Replacement Plan Grant:
- The project is an “eligible project”.
- There must be a demonstrated community need for the project*.
- The project must be able to demonstrate that it will benefit tourism in the local area**.
- There must be a demonstrated financial need for a grant.
- The project must be able to demonstrate local support*.
*Please address “community need” and “local support” in terms of your cultural organization and/or programming.
**Tourism is defined as: “a person traveling 50 miles or more one way to a destination or who stays overnight”.
If you are applying for a Systems Replacement Plan grant in addition to either a Capital grant or a Feasibility & Technical Assistance (FTA) grant, you can do so without having to fill out two separate applications. In the Intent to Apply of your Capital or FTA application, select that you are also requesting an SRP. In which case, please submit your supplementary materials according to the requirements for the prior grant application. Those materials will be used to make assessments for both grant requests.
If you are only applying for a Systems Replacement Plan grant, a complete application will constitute the submission of both the online SRP application and supplementary materials. If one of the aforementioned is not submitted by the final application deadline of January 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (ET), the application will be considered incomplete and not be reviewed.
I. Intent to Apply
Submitting the Intent to Apply is our way to check your eligibility before you fill out the entire application. It is the first section of the online application, titled the “Project Overview” page. The information can be changed anytime up until the final application deadline. If you miss the Intent to Apply deadline, you can still apply up until the final application deadline.
There is a separate application form for each Cultural Facilities Fund grant category. Make sure you have filled out your Intent to Apply for a Systems Replacement Plan grant.
You do not need approval from the Mass Cultural Council after submitting the Intent to Apply to continue with the full application. Mass Cultural Council staff will contact you if any eligibility issues are identified.
- Complete the online application, including any updates or changes to the organizational profile and “Project Overview” page.
- Click the “final submission” button by the deadline, 11:59pm (ET) on January 15, 2021. The Mass Cultural Council will receive your application electronically and you will receive an email confirming the submission. If you do not receive the automated email receipt, go back to ensure the application has been submitted successfully. Be sure to save the PDF summary of your application for your records.
III. Supplementary Materials:
Supplementary materials must be submitted electronically via the Mass Cultural Council’s Box.com account by 11:59pm on January 15, 2021.
Once you submit your Intent to Apply, Mass Cultural Council staff will create a folder for your organization in Box.com. An invitation to join the folder will be sent to the email address associated with the “Primary Contact” on your application. Please allow 1-3 business days to receive the email invitation after submitting your Intent to Apply.
If you do not already have an account, you will need to register. Go to Box.com and click “Sign Up” in the top right corner. Create a free account under “Individual Plans.”
If you have a Box.com account already under a different email, or would like to use a different email to upload your materials into Box.com, let us know.
Once you are logged into your account, you will be able to access the folder where you’ll upload your files. Once your materials are uploaded, they will be considered submitted. Your files will only be viewable by you and Mass Cultural Council staff.
If there are materials you wish to include with your application that cannot be submitted electronically, contact Miranda Cook.
Please upload and label each file clearly according to the bold items listed below.
- Financial Information:
- Nonprofit Organizations:
- Income statements and balance sheets since your last audit, accountant’s review, or 990.
- Audited financial or draft audit statements for the two most recent fiscal years. (If your organization’s annual budget is less than $500,000 and no audited financials are available, please provide the review statement by the accountant or internally prepared income and expense statements and balance sheets for the two most recent years. Audit statements are not required if the applicant is a municipality, but are required for all 501(c)3s including colleges and universities.)
- Municipalities: Facility-specific financials for the last two years for the subject facility. Audit statements are not required.
- Colleges and Universities:
- Audited financial statements for the two most recent fiscal years.
- Facility-specific programmatic financials for the last two years for the subject facility.
- Nonprofit Organizations:
- Board list with affiliations (not required for municipalities).
- Copy of Current Long-Range Plan, if available.
- Copy of IRS 501(c) (3) Tax Exemption Letter (if applicable).
- Copy of the lease, deed, ground lease or use agreement for your facility.
- Images of the overall site as well as specific areas of work.