Cultural Facilities Fund
Systems Replacement Plan Grants
How To Apply
Read the program guidelines, then review specific Systems Replacement Plan grants requirements below.
Watch a recording or view the slide deck from the information session webinar or drop-in on our virtual office hours to ask staff questions.
Learn more about requesting an accommodation for accessibility or requesting translation services.
Login or create a user profile in the new grants management system. (See details under “Application Instructions” below.)
Take the Eligibility Quiz to begin an application by clicking “Apply Now” under the desired Cultural Facilities Fund grant category.
Complete and submit the online application, including supplementary materials by February 2, 2023 at 11:59pm (ET).
Systems Replacement Plan Grants Guidelines
Goals of the Systems Replacement Plan Grant Program
The goal of the Systems Replacement Plan grant program is to provide small and medium-sized organizations with facilities of up to approximately 50,000 square feet and no full-time maintenance staff a tool to prioritize their capital maintenance needs. The Systems Replacement Plan will help managers and board members of cultural organizations get the objective information and analysis they need to address the cycles of maintenance and replacement for their facility. (Please note: some cultural facilities are located in buildings with non-cultural/arts activities. We can only fund planning for facilities with arts, humanities and interpretive sciences programming.)
Systems Replacement Plan grant amounts range from $7,000 to $12,500, and are determined by the square footage of the facility(ties) up to 50,000 square feet.
Mass Cultural Council staff can help you determine the appropriate grant request amount for your application. Contact Jay Paget with any questions.
With a Systems Replacement Plan grant, grantees will enter into contract with a pre-approved third-party consultant who will survey the building envelope (roof, walls, and entry systems) and the mechanical systems (heating, cooling, ventilation, plumbing, and pool filtration). The survey will provide the estimated usable-life expectancy and the approximate replacement cost of your building systems. At the conclusion of the survey, organizations will receive a 20-year Systems Replacement Plan which forecasts the necessary replacement schedule of specific systems and equipment.
As outlined in previous sections, the Cultural Facilities Fund statute establishes five threshold review criteria for all grants. All projects must provide evidence that they meet these statutory criteria to be considered for a Systems Replacement Plan Grant:
- The project is an “eligible project”.
- There must be a demonstrated community need for the project*.
- The project must be able to demonstrate that it will benefit tourism in the local area**.
- There must be a demonstrated financial need for a grant.
- The project must be able to demonstrate local support*.
*Please address “community need” and “local support” in terms of your cultural organization and/or programming.
**Tourism is defined as: “a person traveling 50 miles or more one way to a destination or who stays overnight”.
Submit the online application by the final deadline of February 2, 2023 at 11:59pm (ET).
All applicants should submit their applications through the online system. To create a profile in the system you must have an email address, which will be your username.
If you have not applied to Mass Cultural Council before and/or do not already have a user profile, complete a registration in the grants management system.
- Go to the online system and click “Register”.
- On the next page select “Organization” to register your organization, school, town, or other group.
- Your organization may already have a record in the system. Use the Organization name field to find and select your organization, then provide your contact information.
- If your organization’s name is not listed, click the link at the top of the page to register your organization manually. There you will also provide your own contact information as well.
- After completing the registration, you should receive an email to activate your account. The account must be activated within 24 hours. After clicking the activation link, you will be prompted to create a new 8-digit password.
If you have previously applied for a Mass Cultural Council grant using your email address, you may have a profile in the system already. Here’s how you can check to see if you already have a user profile:
- Go to the online system and click “Forgot Password”.
- Once you submit your email address, you will receive an email with a temporary password and a link to the site.
- Copy the password to use on the login page, you will then be prompted to create a new password.
- If you do not receive an email, you do not have an account and you should create one (see above), or you can contact the grants help desk for assistance.
I. Eligibility Quiz
Cultural Facilities Fund applications no longer have an Intent to Apply process. The first step to beginning an application is taking the Eligibility Quiz. This will ensure your organization is eligible to apply to this program.
If your organization is eligible, the next page will bring you to the full application.
You do not need approval from Mass Cultural Council to continue with the application. Mass Cultural Council staff will contact you if any eligibility issues are identified.
If you don’t meet the criteria in the Eligibility Quiz, the grants management system will notify you that this program isn’t a good fit.
- Complete the online application, including any updates or changes to the organization information in your user profile.
- Click the “Submit” button by the deadline, 11:59pm (ET) on February 2, 2023. You will receive an email confirming the submission. If you don’t receive the automated email receipt, go back to ensure the application has been submitted successfully. Be sure to save the PDF summary of your application for your records.