Card to Culture
Card to Culture partnerships make the power of culture accessible to a wider range of Massachusetts’s residents. Arts, humanities, and science organizations that participate in these voluntary discount partnerships offer free or discounted admission to Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cardholders, and/or Women, Infants, & Children (WIC) Nutrition Program cardholders, and/or ConnectorCare cardholders, and receive training, communications, and policy support from the Mass Cultural Council. Organizations choose the extent of the discount, and which cards they choose to accept for a discount. At the same time, the partner agencies that administer those cards promote participating organizations to their constituents.
How to Participate
Read the program guidelines (below).
Contact Greg Torrales with any questions.
Set up a user account and profile in the new grants management system (See details under “New Grants Management System” below.)
Complete the online registration form, by February 11, 2022.
Discounts go into effect from the time of sign up through December 31, 2022.
Organizations that participated in one of the Card to Culture partnerships during 2021 will have their listing(s) automatically renewed for 2022, unless they opt-out by February 11, 2022.
To be a part of this program, organizations will voluntarily offer free or steeply discounted admission to any bearer of a Massachusetts-issued Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, and/or Women, Infants, & Children (WIC) Nutrition Program card, and/or ConnectorCare health insurance card. Organizations choose the extent of the discount, and which cards they choose to accept for a discount. Visitors use the card to identify they are eligible for a discount; the cards cannot be used for payment. If your institution is taking monies, they should be collected in the regular ways your institution uses (cash, credit card). Eligible discounts are:
- For regular admission, during all normal operating hours, or for every regular season performance, to be used at any time.
- Available to the family or individual adult holding the accepted card.
- Offered through the regular admissions process, or redeemable in the same manner that other discounts at the organization are. (To the best of an organization’s ability.)
- Valid from the time of sign up through December 31, 2022.
Organizations set their own admission price, if any, and the number of people that the discount extends to per card or per household. If an organization extends discounts to EBT, WIC, and ConnectorCare card holders, they may choose to offer the same or different discounts to each group. Special performances or exhibits may be exempt from the discount – if there is an extra fee or upcharge, organizations are not obligated to offer a discounted rate. Organizations may limit the number of spots available for discounted admissions, if there is limited capacity for a class or performance.
Participating organizations must:
- Consent to having their discount(s) and visitation information listed on the webpage(s) and in promotional materials of applicable partner agencies.
- Commit to offering the same discount(s) from the time of their sign-up through the end of each calendar year, and must honor the discount they have listed on the partner agency’s site for the duration of that time.
- Train box office or admissions staff ahead of implementing the Card to Culture discount(s) to make the transaction and entry process as smooth as possible.
- Keep track of the total number of people admitted with the discount, tracked separately by each card type you accept, and report that number to the Mass Cultural Council by January 15, 2023.
Organizations may enroll at any time, however, partner agency websites and promotional materials are only updated twice a year.
New Grants Management System
All applicants should submit their applications through the online system.
- Check to see if you already have a user profile in the grants management system:
- Go to the online application.
- Click “Forgot Password”.
- Once you submit your email address, you will receive an email with a temporary password and a link to the site.
- Copy the password to use on the login page, you will then be prompted to create a new password.
- If you do not already have a user profile, complete a registration in the grants management system:
- Register as an Organization. You will select your organization using a search field or add it if it is not listed. The organization is the applicant and you are the primary contact for the application.
- If you are a for-profit organization registering your organization in the system for the first time, contact Greg Torrales directly to create an account for you.