Stoneham Cultural Council
The mission of the Stoneham Cultural Council, as a member of the Mass Cultural Council, is to promote excellence, education, diversity, and inclusion in the arts,
humanities, and sciences to foster a rich cultural life for all Stoneham residents and contribute to the vitality
of our community and economy.
The Stoneham Cultural Council receives funding from the Mass Cultural Council which receives funding from the Massachusetts Legislature and the National Endowment for
the Arts, and it distributes these public funds through two channels:
1) Direct grants to individuals and organizations, available through statewide competitive grant processes;
2) Distributions to Local Cultural Councils, which then regrant funds to individuals and organizations in their
The Local Cultural Council (LCC) is comprised of the Stoneham Cultural Council along with the local councils of all other participating communities. The LCC Program was established in 1982 and was overseen by the Massachusetts Arts
Lottery Council until 1990. It then merged with the Massachusetts Council on Arts and Humanities to form the
Mass Cultural Council.
LCCs members are appointed by the community’s chief appointing authority. They are responsible for making
decisions on how to award the money granted to them by the Mass Cultural Council plus funds raised in other
ways that will best serve local cultural needs. There are currently 329 LCCs in Massachusetts that form the most
extensive system of public support for community cultural programs in the country. Collectively, these councils
fund thousands of cultural activities in all 351 cities and towns in the state.
35 Central Street
Stoneham, MA 02180
Connect on Social
FY22 Local Priorities
The council prioritizes funding for:
– Programs that serve broad segments of the community.
– Proposals that involve collaboration.
– New and diverse programs.
– Programs that contribute to the cultural vitality of the community as a whole.
Proposed projects must take place after the October deadline, to December 31 of the year following the year of the application deadline (ex: for October 2016 applicants, projects must take place from October 18, 2016 to December 31, 2017).
FY22 Local Guidelines
– Application must be current Massachusetts Cultural Council version.
– Application must feature a program or event scheduled after application deadline and completed by December 31 of the following calendar year (grant cycle is 14 months).
– Consideration will be given to those programs that have arranged a venue and secured a sponsoring organization (Example: “the event will be held on February 14th at the Stoneham Public Library in conjunction with the Junior Room”).
– We do not provide funding for transportation.
– If there is a change in your project, written permission from the Council is needed before proceeding.
– Due to limited resources, the Stoneham Cultural Council frequently grants partial
funding. Applicants are urged to consider the source of alternate funds.
How Grant Recipients Are Paid
Review Complete LCC Program Guidelines