New Bedford Cultural Council
New Bedford Cultural Council (NBCC) funds programs that promote excellence, access, education, and diversity in the Arts, Humanities and Interpretive Sciences to improve the quality of life for New Bedford city residents.
NBCC ensures that New Bedford’s share of Massachusetts Cultural Council funds are administered fairly and in the best interests of the community.
PO Box 2027
New Bedford, MA 02741-2027
FY23 Local Priorities
LOCAL COUNCIL PRIORITIES
Local cultural council (LCC) funds are used to support programs in the arts, humanities, and interpretive sciences. This definition includes the study, pursuit, performance, exhibition, and appreciation of cultural activities in the broadest sense. Each year the New Bedford Cultural Council (NBCC) adjusts its guidelines and criteria based on responses to a community input survey.
To be considered, the proposed project must either take place in New Bedford or directly benefit the citizens of New Bedford. The New Bedford Cultural Council will give priority to grants that have a measurable impact on the New Bedford community through the following:
1. Projects that provide free or low-cost events and programming
2. Projects that provide opportunities for education, enrichment, and skill-building. These include but are not limited to the subjects of nature, science, the environment, and local history and diversity
3. Projects offering outdoor concerts and festivals, public art and performances, and gallery/museum exhibits
4. Projects that provide opportunities and offer support to individual, emerging or established visual and performing artists
FY23 Local Guidelines
LOCAL COUNCIL GUIDELINES:
1. The NBCC will only accept applications submitted online. No paper applications will be accepted.
2. This is a reimbursement program; no money is given up front. Award money will be available to you only after you have completed your project.
3. Grant requests may not exceed $4,000 per application. The NBCC looks more favorably on applicants who pursue additional funding sources to support their projects. Food, lodging, and fund-raising are not funded by NBCC.
4. If the budget includes salaries or stipends, attach a detailed breakdown of the allocation of funds for salaries on a separate page. Project locations (i.e. performance venue/gallery space) must be secured in advance of the application. Please attach confirmation letters from the venue or any letters of support for your project.
5. If individuals or an organization collaborate on a single application, one member of the collaboration must be designated as the lead applicant for fiscal management purposes.
6. The Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC) and the LCC must be credited by using the MCC’s credit logo or credit line. We encourage grant recipients to use both the MCC logo and the credit statement, but you are only required to use one. Logos are downloadable from this site. The logo must be produced as a unit without alteration.
The credit line is as follows:
“This program is supported in part by a grant from the New Bedford Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.”
FOR SCHOOLS THAT ARE APPLYING
1. Any field trip that fits with your class curriculum is eligible to be funded. Some examples of trips we’ve funded in the past are: trips to shows at the Zeiterion, the Rotch-Jones-Duff House, the Museum of Science in Cambridge, etc. In your application, please describe how this trip/program directly connects or relates to classroom learning.
2. Schools organizing the field trip are eligible to apply, as well as cultural organizations hosting the field trips. Using the online application, please insert the name of your school in the “applicant” field and your contact name in the “contact name” field.
3. There is no set maximum on the amount that a given school can receive for field trips. However, the amount that we will be able to give to each school will depend on the number of overall requests and the amount of money we receive.
How Grant Recipients Are Paid
FY23 Funding List
|AHA! New Bedford||PRIDE, June 14th AHA! Night||$3,800||AHA! New Bedford||The Seaport Sessions||$3,200||Andrade, Erik||La Soul Renaissance -Black August Cultural Memory Celebration||$2,600||Anello, Andrew||New Moon Projects: BodyBodyBody, Riverside Beats, and New Moon Roller Disco||$3,200||Bean, Cara||Draw Your Story||$878||Bishop, Scott||Scapeghost Presents: Unexpected Music||$2,600||Cape Verdean Recognition Committee, Inc.||Cape Verdean Recognition Parade||$2,600||Co-Creative Center, Inc.||Co Creative Sessions||$3,200||Coastal Foodshed, Inc.||Showcasing Local Musicians & Local Food||$3,200||Community Economic Development Center of Southeastern Massachusetts||Patio de Comida/Guatemalan Festival||$3,800||Cope, Jr., Edward L.||Balloon Animal Twisting workshop||$292||DeMary, Michele||Booker T. Washington Mural||$1,500||Donner, Sarah||"Queer à Portuguesa" Being at Home Coming Out||$1,750||Downtown New Bedford, Inc.||dNB Holiday Stroll||$3,800||Dream Out Loud Center, Inc.||The Student Showcase||$2,600||Dungca, Samantha||Free Family Yoga at Wilks Library||$1,885||Dworkin, Motoko||Origami Storigami||$400||Easton Children's Museum, Inc.||Finding Your Voice Through STEAM||$195||Enloe, Stephanie||Free Art Workshops for Children at NB Public Library||$2,438||Ethnic Arts Center of Somerville, Inc.||Talking Puppets of my Heritage-New Bedford Alive!||$2,112||Evans, Midori||Artists Share!||$2,600||Fazio, Rhonda M||Dyeing to Wear It: Color Across the Americas||$1,170||Fazio, Rhonda M||Game UnPlugged: with Music on a Thursday Night||$1,050||Felix, Jonathan||Full STEAM Ahead||$2,000||Gallery X, Inc.||Gallery X Unplugged 2023||$3,120||Gillman, Jackson||Spring into Action & Song||$320||Global Learning Charter Public School||GLCPS Drama Club - The Lion King, Jr.||$500||Global Learning Charter Public School||Field trip to Plimouth Patuxet Museums||$980||Gnome, Inc.||Happy Camp||$983||Good Company NB, Inc.||Art and Yoga Camp||$1,725||Ingoldsby, Joseph||Historic Trees of New Bedford Walking Tour 1: Walk for Health||$3,200||Irwin M. Jacobs Elementary School||Magic School Bus: Trip to The Solar System||$760||Keith, Michelle||Celebrating Community in Placemaking||$1,105||LeBlanc, Wendy||Slow Stitch Folk Art Fridays||$2,307||Lovett, Andrea||Carving Out Your Story||$285||MCLEAN, MICHAEL||Stove Boat Concert Series||$3,200||MUSE, Inc.||MUSE Incorporated - Musical Visits for Seniors||$187||MUSIC Dance.edu||Hip Hop Chair Dance for Seniors!||$325||MUSIC Dance.edu||I am Autistic I am Fantastic||$290||Martell, Scott||The Magic Around Us||$280||Massachusetts Design Art & Technology Institute, Inc.||Breaking Rules to Help Humanity: Exploring the Possibilities of 3D Printing in Architecture||$3,800||Millstein, Mark||POP-UP Projections||$995||Native Plant Trust, Inc.||Plant Communities of Massachusetts||$455||New Bedford Ballet Foundation, Inc.||Building Healthy Communities Through Dance||$2,850||New Bedford Economic Development Council, Inc.||Seaport Art Walk: 10th Anniversary||$3,800||New Bedford Festival Theatre, Inc.||Go, Go, Go! New Bedford Festival Theatre's Summer Academy 2023||$3,800||New Bedford Festival Theatre, Inc.||Helping New Bedford Students “Ease On Down the Road” to New Bedford Festival Theatre’s The Wiz: Funding Transportation Costs for a Student Matinee Opportunity||$3,800||New Bedford Fishing Heritage Center, Inc.||Histories and Mysteries: Local Fishing History and Global Fishing Mythology||$2,800||New Bedford High School Drama Club||NBHS Drama Club presents The SpongeBob Musical||$2,000||New Bedford Museum and Art Center, Inc.||On the Road to Creativity at YOUR Library!||$2,400||New Bedford Museum and Art Center, Inc.||Teen Artist Internship Program||$2,000||New Bedford Preservation Society, Inc.||Walkways: Exploring the People and Places of Historic New Bedford||$1,720||New Bedford Symphony Orchestra Association, Inc.||Symmetry in Shapes and Sound||$2,600||Old Colony Historical Society||Passport to History 2023||$160||Old Dartmouth Historical Society||Creature Feature||$3,800||Old Dartmouth Historical Society||IGNITE Youth Art Showcase||$2,850||Our Sisters' School, Inc.||African Drumming Music Class||$2,000||Parisi, Rita||Gothic Ghost Tales by Candlelight||$325||Practice Best Practice, Inc.||Practice Best Practice Workshops||$2,800||Renaissance Community Innovation School||Grade 3 Field Trip to Plimoth Patuxet Museum & Mayflower II||$700||Renaissance Community Innovation School||Field Trip to Round the Bend Farm||$880||Renaissance Community Innovation School||Grade 5 Field Trip to the Zeiterion Theater||$324||Renaissance Community Innovation School||MAGIC SCHOOL BUS: TRIP TO THE SOLAR SYSTEM||$340||Research and Robotics, Inc.||Artist and Designer in Residency Program||$2,695||Roberge, Mandy H.||Henna at the Library||$920||Rodden Walker, Katy||Community Blooms||$3,200||Rosa, Marisol||Movement Through Color: Silk Yoga Flow||$1,803||Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum, Inc.||Shakespeare in New Bedford 2023 - The Tempest||$2,600||Seaglass Theater Company, Inc.||The Tragedy of Carmen||$750||South Coast Children's Chorus||Spreading Joy Through Singing - Cape Verde Connections||$2,600||SouthCoast Children's Theatre, Inc.||SCCT Presents "The Addams Family Musical"||$1,500||Southeastern Massachusetts Educational Collaborative||Public Art Projects||$2,600||The Greater New Bedford Choral Society, Inc.||Greater New Bedford Choral Society's 2022-23 Season||$1,500||University of Massachusetts Dartmouth||Photography Thesis Exhibit by Class of 2023 of Umass Dartmouth CVPA||$1,200||Vaughan, Laura||An Intimate Evening with the Author||$1,950||Whaling History Alliance, Inc.||2023 SUMMER CONCERT SERIES||$2,600||YWCA of Southeastern Massachusetts, Inc.||YWkids School Age Child Care Program||$640||York, Matt||Johnny Cash - Songs & Stories||$275||Your Theatre, Inc.||Summer Show - Henry Martyn Robert||$1,500||Your Theatre, Inc.||11th Annual New Bedford JazzFest||$2,000||Your Theatre, Inc.||Jazz at AHA!||$1,625||Your Theatre, Inc.||Your Theatre's Actor Workshop Series||$500||Youth Opportunities Unlimited||Unite with Love: Community, Self, and the Environment||$800||Zukas, Karen||First Annual Indoor Mural Slam||$2,600|